Jean-Luc Jamet worked for many years alongside his brother Jean-Paul, at the iconic family estate, Domaine Jamet. However in 2013 the brothers split the 16 hectare estate evenly, into two 8 hectare properties.
From the new beginning in 2013, Jean-Luc was not willing to buy second hand barrels and so all the barrels were new. This meant the early vintages were a little oaky but the latest vintages have great balance and are seriously impressive. The majority of the barrels are 300 litres, with the balance made up of 20% 228 litre and 20% 500 litre casks. Generally 35% of the production is made with whole bunches, with the remaining 65% destemmed to emphasise the floral, elegant style and he only uses wild yeasts. Today Jean-Luc and his wife Evelyne have been joined at the estate by their second son, Benoit, who supports in both the vineyards and the winery.
The vineyard holdings comprise 4.5 hectares of Côte-Rôtie, 2 hectares of Côtes-du-Rhône, and 1 hectare of Vin de Pays. The Côte-Rôtie is 100% Syrah and includes 0.9 ha Mornachon, 0.8 ha Chavaroche, 0.7 ha Lancement, 0.6 ha Bonnivières, as well as small parcels across Côte Baudin, La Landonne, Les Moutonnes, Les Rochains, Tartaras and Fongeant.
The wine has lots of warm black fruit and plum aromas, with cinnamon, spices, pepper and a hint of vanilla. The palate is concentrated with damsons, red fruit, spice and stony minerality with a very elegant and warm finish. The mouth is initially very silky but gives way to some mouth watering acidity and firm tannins.
Robust, mature & biscuity style of Champagne from a small family-owned company whose insistence on the very highest level of quality has afforded them an international reputation.
1/3 Pinot Noir, 1/3 Pinot Meunier, 1/3 Chardonnay, with 25% aged in barrel.